Thursday, February 05, 2004

Slightly less lost in translation

In an earlier post, I expressed an opinion that it would be interesting to see the whiskey commercial filming scene of Lost in Translation with a Japanese audience, given that the scene is written in such a way that the viewer is not intended to be able to understand what is being said in Japanese, and that it is clear that the translation is, shall we say, incomplete. Here we have a translation of the Japanese. I would still be interested to see how a Japanese audience reacts to this. I suppose whether they find it funny depends on whether Coppola's screenplay has the Japanese cultural factors behind what is being said right. And that depends on who actually wrote the Japanese dialogue. Did that actor ad lib after being told the general idea? I don't know, but I will have to find out.

No comments:

Blog Archive