Friday, July 11, 2003

Creepy

While walking out of the door of Croydon public library this afternoon, I saw a fairly ordinary, Anglo looking middle aged guy wearing a T-shirt saying "Mujahadeen. Warriors of Allah". Nothing registered for a moment, but after a couple of seconds what it said registered in my mind, and I realised I was slightly bothered. However, I then noticed that he was talking to a woman wearing a hajeeb, and that the T-shirt was likely intended entirely unironically. Actually, to think about it further I am not sure how this could be intended ironically. I am just used to almost everything printed on T-shirts to be not entirely serious.

This is another one of those moments when I wish that the star spangled banner was a little easier to sing.

No comments:

Blog Archive