Monday, June 23, 2003

One upmanship

Eldan is showing off by listing all the countries he has been to. In retaliation, here is my list (which I started in his comments section).

Let's see what I can do. If I put a * after the name of a country, it means I changed my country of regular residence to that country, and I don't list entering that country until it ceases to be my principal residence. After being born in Australia

1978 New Zealand
1987 Hong Kong, China
1991 New Zealand, United States (2 entries, CA, WA, NJ, NY), Canada, United Kingdom*
1992 France, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Austria
1993 Netherlands, Kenya, Tanzania, Portugal, Spain, France, Monaco, Italy, Hong Kong, Australia
1994 Japan, France, Thailand, Australia
1997 Ireland, Australia*, Thailand, Nepal, Hong Kong SAR (2 entries), Macau
1999 United States (2 entries, CA, OH, LA, NY, CT, MA, NV, AZ, UT, WY), United Kingdom, New Zealand
2000 Japan, United Kingdom, Finland, Estonia, Italy, United States (NY, NJ, CT, RI, CA)
2001 South Africa, Singapore, Indonesia
2002 Singapore (2 entries), Malaysia, United Kingdom*, Turkey, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France
2003 France (2 entries), Spain (2 entries)

Eldan seems to have a little more Asia and Europe than I do, but I win points for having made two trips to Africa, while he has made none. I have excluded any country in which I have never left the transport infrastructure, so countries where I have never left the train, or never left the airport terminal are not listed, whether or not I have gone through immigration into that country. (My life seems to endlessly involve landing in Frankfurt, for instance, but I have never been out of the airport and into that city).

I also seem to be accumulating new countries at a much slower rate these days, as I am starting to repeat countries a lot.

No comments:

Blog Archive