Saturday, January 11, 2003

Just before Chrismas, in a slightly eccentric post I noted that 1997 was for some reason a big year for breakthrough performances by new actresses in Australian cinema, and I cited five actresses who were omnipresent in Australian films at that time: Rachel Griffiths, Toni Collette, Miranda Otto, Frances O'Connor, and Cate Blanchett. (I was ambivalent as to whether Cate Blanchett belonged in the same group as the others). My motivation for writing this piece was my feeling that The Two Towers was about to turn Miranda Otto into an international star, which I think it probably has.

Having made that post, I now note that three of these actresses - Rachel Griffiths, Toni Collette, and Miranda Otto, have got married in the last fortnight. As far as I know, Frances O'Connor is still single. (Proving she doesn't belong in the group after all, Cate Blanchett has been married for years and years).

I guess Miranda couldn't wait for me any longer. This is so sad. How am I ever going to find another woman as cool as this.

No comments:

Blog Archive